Sunday, January 30, 2011

Esme Meets Mary

It's such a beautiful morning - the sky is clear blue and from my office I can look north to the Golden Ears mountains and they are simply gorgeous with their pure white peaks.

And so I thought today I would share a "pure white" moment that Esme and I had this week.  Esme is my Golden Retriever who is my Therapy Dog and I will share with you how she came into my world in a later post but for now suffice it to say that this beautiful creature is an angel in a dog's body.

Monday the 24th of January Esme and I went for our little visit at Langley Gardens which is a congregate care home in Walnut Grove.  We visit on the "Care Floor" which is mostly dementia patients.
  
When we arrived for our little visit and after Esme had shmoozed her way around the crowd Jayme, the co-ordinator, asked me if we would come and visit a very special person.  Her name is Mary and she is blind. She is very sad right now because her husband recently passed away on that floor and she hasn't wanted to come out of her room very much.  In her younger days Mary raised Shelties and competed in agility with them.  Jayme knocked on the door of her room and quietly asked if Mary would like a visitor.  Well, not so much. But then Jayme mentioned that her visitor was a dog - and with that we were welcomed into her room.  Her bed is situated so that she has a beautiful view out of a window - that she cannot see.  When we came into her room and around the corner where her bed is, there lay, lost among the sheets,  a sweet, fragile, tiny woman dressed in the prettiest mint green eyelet nightgown.  Esme walked right up to her and put her head on the edge of the bed close enough so that Mary could reach over and pat her.  At that moment I witnessed something truly special.......a spark seemed to shine in Mary's eyes and Esme just sat there and loved every moment of being loved on.  We chatted a bit about her shelties and she gave me some tips on training Esme.  When it was time for us to leave she asked me to be sure to come and visit her again. And we will most certainly do that.  We have a very special lady who Esme and I are going to learn many life lessons from.
 
As we were leaving the floor and Jayme was entering the code to let us into the elevator a pastor/priest walked past us ( not sure which but he had a white collar!) and he asked Jayme rather sternly if that dog should be up here........and Jayme's reply......"absolutely".........
 
The love of a dog.........is unexplainable but I know this........Esme is a very special dog that was chosen especially for me.......to help me heal and to bring so much love to other people.  I have found my "bliss".  "To Whom Much Is Given Much Is Expected".
 
If you feel that you just cannot "do it" one more day or that your hurt is too much to cope with.......I can honestly say" I understand your feelings" and " Hold on tight because there will be a day that you will have a "pure white" moment..........you will have many many of them - this I promise you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment